Commonwealth Master’s Scholarships enable talented and motivated individuals to gain the knowledge and skills required for sustainable development and in this article, you’ll learn how to apply for the 2022/23 Commonwealth Masters Scholarship without stress. The scholarship is aimed at those who could not otherwise afford to study in the UK.
The scholarships are for candidates from eligible lower and middle-income Commonwealth countries, to undertake full-time taught Master’s study at a UK university. You can apply for free without paying a dime. You just have to read this article to know the basic steps on how to go about it.
Commonwealth Masters Scholarship
Commonwealth Scholarships enable talented and motivated individuals to gain the knowledge and skills required for sustainable development, and are offered to citizens from low and middle-income Commonwealth countries. The majority of Scholarships are funded by the UK Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO), with the aim of contributing to the UK’s international development aims and wider overseas interests, supporting excellence in UK higher education, and sustaining the principles of the Commonwealth.
To apply for these scholarships, you must meet the following eligibility standards:
- Be a citizen of or have been granted refugee status by an eligible Commonwealth country, or be a British Protected Person
- Be permanently resident in an eligible Commonwealth country (see below)
- Be available to start your academic studies in the UK by the start of the UK academic year in September 2022 by September 2022, hold a first degree of at least upper second class (2:1) honors standard, or a second class degree (2:2) and relevant postgraduate qualification (usually a Master’s degree). The CSC would not normally fund a second UK Master’s degree. If you are applying for a second UK Master’s degree, you will need to provide justification as to why you wish to undertake this study
- Be unable to afford to study in the UK without this scholarship
- Have provided all supporting documentation in the required format
The CSC aims to identify talented individuals who have the potential to make a change. We are committed to a policy of equal opportunity and non-discrimination, and encourage applications from a diverse range of candidates. For further information on the support available to candidates with a disability, see the CSC disability support statement.
Please note that only candidates from the eligible countries listed below can apply for Commonwealth Master’s Scholarships in 2022.
Antigua and Barbuda
Papua New Guinea
St Vincent and the Grenadines
Completing Application Form
Applications must be made using the CSC’s online application system. In the application form, prospective candidates will be asked to:
- List all undergraduate and postgraduate university qualifications obtained (if applicable)
- List up to 10 publications and prizes (if applicable)
- Provide details of your employment history and explain how each job is relevant to the programme you wish to undertake in the UK (up to 100 words per employment)
- Provide a statement on the relevance of your previous work experience to the proposed Scholarship (up to 300 words)
- List names and positions of three referees who are qualified to comment on both your capacity to benefit from your proposed Scholarship in the UK and your ability to deliver development impact afterwards. One of your referees must be your current employer.
- Provide a Development Impact statement in 4 parts. In the first part you should explain how your proposed Scholarship relates to:
a. development issues at the global, national, and local level
b. development issues connected to your chosen CSC development theme and the wider sector.
(up to 200 words)
- In the second part you should explain how you intend to apply your new skills once your Scholarship ends (up to 100 words).
- In the third part you should outline what you expect will change in development terms following your Scholarship, including:
a. the outcomes that you aim to achieve
b. the timeframe for their implementation
c. who the beneficiaries will be
(up to 250 words)
- In the fourth part you should write about how the impact of your work could be best measured (up to 100 words).
- Confirm what your award objectives are and how each of them will be met by the Scholarship programme
- Confirm what your objectives are for the next two years and how each of them will be met by the Scholarship programme
- Confirm what your objectives are in the longer term and how each of them will be met by the Scholarship programme
- Provide a personal statement to summarise the ways in which your personal background has encouraged you to want to make an impact in your home country. You should indicate areas in which you have already contributed, such as having overcome any personal or community barriers to your chosen career (up to 500 words).
- Summarise the ways in which you have engaged in voluntary activities and the opportunities you have had to demonstrate leadership (up to 500 words).
- Provide a scan of your passport or national identity card
How To Apply
You must apply to one of the following nominating bodies in the first instance – the CSC does not accept direct applications for these scholarships.
- National nominating agencies – this is the main route of applications
- Selected non-governmental organisations and charitable bodies
Each nominating body is responsible for its own selection process and may have additional eligibility criteria. You must check with your nominating body for their specific advice and rules for applying, their own eligibility criteria, and their own closing date for applications.
You must make your application using the CSC’s online application system, in addition to any other application that you are required to complete by your nominating body. The CSC will not accept any applications that are not submitted via the online application system.
Application Closing Date
The closing date for the scholarship application is on the 1st Of November, 2021.
Share this method to Apply For the 2022/23 Commonwealth Masters Scholarship on your social media account so that others can know about it